Thursday 26 December 2019

A Very Irish Christmas

For my next blog post, I want to share a typical Irish Christmas with everyone. For me being with my family is the most important part of Christmas. Sharing dinner and laughter is the best part of any Christmas celebration.

I like to get my shopping done during the first two weeks of December so I am not in a mad rush at the end. I love walking around my hometown of Cork. They put on a festival every weekend in December called Glow and this has lovely food markets and a ferris wheel. It makes Cork way more exciting to go shopping as you have lights and songs being played all around the city.

Myself and my family put up the tree and the lights around our house on the 1st of December. I like to get the full celebration for the whole month of December and the first week of January. The other 10 and bit months of the year are bland and boring to say the least.

I love watching Christmas movies over christmas. I try to watch one movie per night from the 1st of December. It is like my advent movie marathon. Home Alone 1 and 2 has to be my favourite  Christmas movies. I usually watch them on Christmas Eve and Christmas day but I would have watched them during my advent marathon as well. With a cups of hot chocolate and the fire on it makes for a lovely christmas tradition.

On Christmas Eve, it is my cousins birthday so we go over to give her, her present and come home to some nice festive food. We usually have egg nog and a small bit of the turkey my mum has prepared for the next day. We then go to mass. This is very typical being Irish. Religion plays a huge part in my tradition by going once a year. It is a lovely mass as its full of carol singers and santa stops by. It really brings back my youth and really spells the true meaning of christmas that is the innocence of children. We then come home to a few drinks and a couple of movies and then head to bed for the long day that is christmas day.

Christmas day for us as a family is: get up put on your christmas clothes and head to the graves of our loved ones who are not here anymore. It is a very real part that there are a few empty seats at our dinner table every year. Still visiting their graves gets a little part of them sharing in our day with us. After going to the graves we eat christmas dinner. I usually have a sea food starter and then have turkey and potatoes as my main dinner. I then have chocolate cake for desert with some bucks fizz and some vodka as my drinks. We then open our presents. Most families open their presents when they get up but we enjoy opening them after dinner and then fall asleep while watching a christmas movie. Once the movie is over we head over to my aunt's house for games and drinks until around 12 where we come home and go to bed.

My fashion at christmas is usually dresses. I plan three outfits one for christmas eve, christmas day and stephen/boxing day. Since my influencing started this year, I have been more careful with my outfits and want to pick out three very different outfits that go well with each day. I was always into fashion over christmas but this made it all the more enjoyable.

This was a post on my very Irish Christmas
Have a merry Christmas and a great 2020

Joanne
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment